Picture a high school football team. As the players stand in their locker room, dressed in uniform and full of anticipation for the big game ahead, their coach shares a few carefully-selected words of wisdom. They walk through the hallway and out to the field, looking up at posters that share more motivational quotes. Feeling empowered by the words, each young athlete’s mind is in the right place, ready to persevere through sweat, pain and fatigue to accomplish what they set out to do.
You might not have cheerleaders waving pom-poms in the background during your every workout, but there is something you share with these young athletes. Just as the football players felt encouraged by the words of their coach and the posters they passed, you can use motivational quotes to help yourself push harder after weight loss surgery.
A mantra is anything you can repeat over and over in your head to change your attitude and find peace. Sometimes a mantra is a simple sound (“om”), or it might be a few words (“you can do it!”) or a long and meaningful sentence. It might be a song lyric, a line from a poem or a phrase your grandmother used to say. The exact nature of a mantra depends on what works best for you. For some people, motivational quotes fill this role.
A mantra can be a line, phrase, quotation or any meaningful thought that deeply resonates with you. It might be an encouraging phrase your weight loss surgeon said last time you were in the office, or maybe something you saw on a poster once.
Here are a few motivational quotes. Read them out loud and think about each one for a moment. You might just find your new mantra here:
- “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” –Theodore Roosevelt
- “Even if you fall on your face, you’re still moving forward.” –Robert C. Gallagher
- “Failure is not fatal. Only failure to get back up is.” –John C. Maxwell
- “Believe while others are doubting.” –William Arthur Ward
- “People may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do.” –Lewis Cass
- “When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on.” –Thomas Jefferson
- “Choice, not chance, determines destiny.” –E.C. McKenzie
- “The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking spaces.” –Will Rogers
There are thousands of quotes out there, and there’s a good chance that at least one will hold deep meaning for you. When you find a quote that moves you, write it down. Tape it to the front of your fridge, stick it on a card in your wallet and put it on your desk at work. Keeping motivational words around you in that way can keep your spirits up and help you find peace and perspective in stressful moments.